Monday, September 29, 2008

At home spa

If you are a mom, I am sure you will agree that we just don't get enough time for ourselves sometimes. I do love spending time with my little one, but there are days where I just wish I could find some time for things I like. This past weekend I asked a few friends what they do to keep their sanity! My friend, Vanessa, sent me an email about how she spends her alone time. This is what she had to say:


"My name is Vanessa and I am a mother of 3 rambunctious boys and 1 sleepless baby girl. I spend my days feeding the baby and homeschooling the boys. I try to run an organized life to make sure the kids stay in a somewhat normal routine. Every day, at about 3:00 pm, everyone goes down for a nap. Thankfully, they usually take good two hour naps everyday. This two hours alone is no less than life saving for me! After I have done a little cleaning up and preparing for the next shift, I love to do a little something for myself. One of my favorite things to do is an "at home facial". They are very relaxing for me and the help me feel refreshed. Here are a few facial recipes and instructions that only take a few minutes:
  • Honey facial: Place a very warm, damp wash cloth over your face for about 5 minutes to open your pores. Immediately after you remove the wash cloth, smear honey over your face. For an exfoliating scrub, add sugar to the honey and scrub face for a few seconds. Then just leave it on your face for about 15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
  • Avocado facial: Just mash up an avocado and smear it on your face. Leave it for about 15 minutes then rinse with warm water. Avocado is naturally moisturizing so you may not need a face lotion after this mask.
  • Cucumber-lemon facial: Place a very warm wash cloth over your face for about 5 minutes to open your pores. Immediately after you remove the wash cloth, place a cold slice of cucumber over your eyes (to help reduce puffy eyes), and a few room-temperature lemon slices all over your face (to help reduce appearance of blemishes and break down oils), and a warm wash cloth over your face. Squeeze lemon slices a little bit to make them juicy. Leave them on your face for about 15 minutes then rinse with warm water. It shouldn't burn, if it does rinse immediately.
  • Banana facial: Mash a banana and smear it all over your face. I have heard this helps with wrinkles.
  • Simple witch hazel facial: Open pores with a warm wash cloth (or after a warm shower) then rub witch hazel over your face with a cotton ball. Witch hazel breaks down oils and tones skin.
I am sure there are tons more easy facials that can be done at home, but these are the ones I have tried and enjoyed. I hope this helps you enjoy your kids' nap times!"

Thanks Vanessa! I am definitely going to try a few of these!

*Any suggestions? Leave a comment!*

No comments: