Friday, September 26, 2008

Easy ways to recycle

Recently, I decided to do my part in helping the environment. I do realize that there is so much more I could do, but you have to start some where right? I have seen so many people that take immense step in staying "GREEN"and I can't imagine the effort it must take to just remember to do all those things! Way back in the good old days, when I worked as a bagger at a grocery store, there were a few people that always brought in their reusable shopping bags for their groceries to be packed in. I remember thinking to myself, "These people are ridiculous! What kind of people bring their own bag when we give them out for free?!" Ha!... If I only knew the facts! Did you know it actually costs more to recycle a plastic bag than it does to just make a new one? Plastic bags cost about 1 cent and paper bags cost about 4 cents! Read this article from National Geographic. I found it very interesting. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/09/0902_030902_plasticbags.html Now, I'm not so sure how much paper bags affect the environment, but I do know that they are easy for me to recycle with my phonebooks and newspapers. *Reusable bags usually only cost $1.*They don't tear as easily as the plastic bags.*Some have a flat bottom so they don't tip as easily in the trunk.*They are washable.*They hold a lot more than plastic bags.*And there is so much more you will like about them! Park City, UT recently banned plastic bags! I think this is a wonderful idea! Here are a few more ways I try to recycle and some tips I stole from friends:
  • Juice containers: Instead of throwing out the plastic bottles, I save a few so I can mix frozen juice concentrates in them.
  • Glass pickle jars: I rinse them out and use them for my used bacon grease and oil. When it's full, I throw it out.
  • Plastic grocery bags: I know I'm not the only one who does this... I use them as trash can liners in the bathroom and bedroom cans.
  • Plastic produce bags from the grocery store: Usually the don't get dirty or sticky, so I stuff a few in my diaper bag for dirty diapers and in the pouches on the back of the seats in the car for trash while I'm out running errands.
  • Dish water: Before I drain my "rinsing side"(if it isn't very gross or soapy), I get a big cup and water all of the little plants in my house.
  • Egg cartons: (if you don't already recycle them with your newspapers and phone books) I cut them in fours and plant a few herbs in them and take them to the ladies I visit each month. I have also seen people use them to organize scrap booking embellishments.

Ever notice those big, metal, dumpster looking containers in the corner of the parking lot of the grocery store? I know the Harmon's in Orem has them... They are recycling containers! Most of the ones I have seen are labeled "Phonebooks". Well since I don't want to pay the city to come pick up my recycling (this may not be the case in every city), I take my paper and cardboard to these recycling bins. Also, did you know that the grocery stores are actually PAID by some recycling companies to save their cardboard? That's right! They save their cardboard boxes, smash them flat, and put them in a machine that makes a "bale" out of them(just like a bale of hay)! Then a company comes and buys the bales from them. I know that some grocery stores will let you bring your unwanted cardboard (I think they will only take big boxes and stuff like that, not small stuff like cereal boxes but you can call to ask.)to be recycled with theirs. They will not pay you for it but at least you know it is being recycled. Call your local grocery stores to see if they will let you bring it in to be recycled!

No comments: