Friday, September 26, 2008

Eat this, NOT that

I am totally guilty of eating what I want, when I want. In fact, I just barely polished off 2(TWO) whole packages of Oreo cakesters. Granted, they only have 2 cakes inside each package and they are horribly delicious. But, beware, their deliciousness is a scurvy little trick! These suckers are crammed with 250 calories, 100 of which calories are from FAT! And if it weren't for my diminishing metabolism, I might just run right over to the cupboard and scarf down the rest of the box.

Last night I sat in my bed wondering how this all happened to ME. I have always been thin, but since my son was born, I am slowly beginning to realize why so many women worry about what they eat. I told my husband I was going to try to diet as soon as all of the junk food is gone. Not a diet to lose weight, but a diet to eat healthy. I don't want to be one of those moms that puts carrot sticks in the kids' lunches and fills my own lunch with pudding and cookies. I want my kids to think it's cool to eat cauliflower and celery just like mommy. So, starting Monday, I am going to choose to eat healthy. No more cakesters for lunch and homemade desserts for dinner. Treats will be only to reward myself after a weeks worth of "being good".

There is actually a book called Eat this, not that, which can be purchased at http://www.amazon.com/. It can help you learn some healthy alternatives to the things you eat at restaurants and fast food places. Also check out http://www.womenshealthmag.com/ and play the "eat this, not that" game in the nutrition section.

Some healthy alternatives:
  • Eat bacon, not sausage
  • Eat french toast, not waffles
  • Eat red bell peppers, not green ones
  • Eat celery with peanut butter, not ranch dressing
  • Eat a chocolate chip granola bar, not a chocolate chip cookie
  • Eat ice cream with fresh berries, not syrup
  • Eat brown rice, not white rice
  • Eat baked chicken, not fried chicken
  • Eat apples with the peal, not without
  • Eat apples dipped in yogurt, not caramel
  • Drink lemon water, not lemon Kool-Aid
  • Eat dried fruit, not fruit snacks
  • Eat wheat bread, not white
  • Drink 100% orange juice, not Sunny-D
  • Eat a blueberry muffin, not chocolate
  • Eat a chocolate and peanut butter dipped banana, not a banana split

Not all of the alternatives are exactly *healthy*, but they are a better choice.

No comments: